Wildfire & Evacuation Information
There are multiple wildfires affecting Northern New Mexico. Taos County Fire & EMS wants to let the public know that as of 5/11/2022 there is no current fire threat to the Town of Taos, Ranchos areas, Talpa area, El Prado, or Pot Creek. With that said, these fires continue to grow and are threatening many neighboring areas. Information will be updated regularly, and we encourage everyone to educate themselves and stay up to date on the latest news by using the following links.
- 5/22 8:00 a.m: Hermit's Peak and Calf Canyon Fires & Map of Affected Areas
- 5/20 4:45 p.m: Taos County Sheriff - Evacuation Update
- 5/17 9:00 a.m: How to Create Defensible Space Around Your Home
- 5/16 9:40 pm: Create Defensible Space around your home! Improve its chances of surviving the fire!
- 5/15 9:30 pm: Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak Fire Ready - Set - Go Status reevaluated! Please read here: Read - Set - Go Status Re-evaluation
Links and Resources
- View the Evacuation Status Map:
- Ready, Set, Go format. The RSG Action Guide can be found at:
- Taos County has a Mass Notification System that you can sign up at (Choose the “Taos County Community Members” group):
- New Mexico Fire Information:
View Daily Updates from the U.S. Forest Service - Santa Fe National Forest Facebook Page
Carson National Forest Facebook Page
Ongoing incident videos on the Hermit’s Peak Fire
Information for HERMit's peak Evacuees
Evacuation Resource Center Locations:
- Juan I. Gonzales Taos County Agricultural Center
202 Chamisa Rd, Taos, NM 87571
- Taos County Sheriff's Posse Rodeo Grounds (No Hookups)
(For RV's and those with livestock) (meals will be delivered)
Address: 230 Camino de la Merced, Taos, NM 87571
For Livestock, please call Livestock Inspector: Ruben Baca (575)-770-1490
Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner and Snacks
Available for all evacuees regardless of where they are staying now. Information about services are coordinated at the Evacuation Resource Centers. Please go to one to get assistance.
- St. James Episcopal Church
208 Camino de Santiago, Taos, NM 87571
Every Thursday 12:30-3:00 pm
- Shared Table/El Pueblito Methodist Church
Wednesday, May 25th
9:30 -11:30 at El Pueblito and 1:30-3:00 at Talpa Community Center.
Contact one of the food pantries if you need extra support at home before a distribution day.
- Help New Mexico
505.265.3717 or 505.302.1303
- Fire Resource Hotline
1-800-432-2080 Option #4
- 2022 Wildfires Damage Assessment
- American Red Cross
1-800 RedCross (733-2767)
- FEMA Disaster Assistance
1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired from 7AM to 10PM.