The Taos County Adult Detention Center was officially occupied with inmates on June 26, 2011. It is an 84 bed facility that houses both male and female offenders. With the new facility being open, it is no longer necessary for Taos County to house inmates in other facilities on a long term basis.
The Taos County Adult Detention Center currently works in collaboration with Health Care Partners for on-site medical services for all individuals incarcerated in the facility. Summit Food Services provides meals and commissary services to the facility, as well.
As we progress, we will be working on different types of programming services which will be offered to individuals during their incarceration period at the facility.
The mission of the Taos County Adult Detention Center is to provide safety for our community, welfare for both inmates and staff, and to provide security within the detention center.
It is our goal to keep our facility up to standards, our staff fully trained, and to promote human dignity, fairness, and self-worth. In conjunction with other community agencies and volunteers, we work on providing services for personal growth and development.
We will show professionalism as we strive to provide outstanding public service with integrity and reliability.
Visitation: Visitation days are Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. The last sign up for visits will be taken at 3:00 pm. Only one 30 minute visit per week is allowed per inmate. Visitation days and hours are subject to change without prior notice.
Any individual requesting to visit an inmate must be listed on the inmate visitation list and must present acceptable photo identification (ID).
Acceptable ID’s include:
- A current Driver’s License or State issued photo ID
- Military or Military Dependent ID
- Current Passport
- Immigration and Naturalization Service Card
All visitors must be on the inmates pre-approved visitation form in order to receive a visit. If you are not on the pre-approved visitation form, you will not be allowed to visit.
A legal guardian or parent must accompany visitors under the age of 18.
Pod Visitation Schedule
|NO VISITATION||A-Pod||C-1, C-2, E, BK(MALE)||B-Pod||D,BK (FEMALE)||NO VISITATION||NO VISITATION|
|8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.||8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.||8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.||8:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.|
Last Sign Up is at 3:30 P.M.
Inmates who are not on restriction are permitted to purchase food and personal comfort items from the Detention Center Commissary. Items may be purchased as needed when there are sufficient funds in an inmate account. Only three orders per week are permitted. Commissary is delivered on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Money: The Taos County Adult Detention Center will only accept Cash/Credit Cards and may be delivered to the Adult Detention Center Administrative Office Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-5:00pm (Excluding holidays).
Proper addressing of incoming mail is very important. Mail should be addressed as such:
- (Inmate’s Name)
- 105 Albright Street, Suite O
- Taos, New Mexico 87571
The sender should also print their full name and return address in case the inmate has been released. Mail is not forwarded to the inmate once he/she has been released. Mail for released inmates is returned to sender or sent to the dead letter department at the United States Postal Service.
All incoming mail shall be opened and searched for contraband. The Detention Center restricts access to publications allowed in the facility that adversely affects the security and orderly operations.
Inmates are not allowed to receive the following items through the mail:
Reasons correspondence will be refused:
- Contains greeting or post cards that have glitter, attachments, electronic devices or that are home made. They need to be basic store bought cards and may not be altered except for writing a note or signing it.
- Contains plastic coated cards and/or plastic coated items.
- No inmate to inmate mail.
- Contains cash or personal check.
- Contains postage stamps, envelopes, writing paper, posters and/or stationary items.
- Contains glue, paste, foreign substance and/or unknown residue on envelope or letter.
- Does not contain complete name as required (use name used at time of booking).
- Contains hardcover books and/or newspapers or books sent by someone other than a bookstore or publisher.
- Contains more than six (6) photos or photos that exceed 5x7 inches.
- Contains obscene, nude, pornographic photos, pictures or drawings.
- Contains photos or pictures exposing undergarments.
- Promotes violations of facility rules.
- Contains writing in code, which staff is unable to assess.
- Encourages or instructs inmates in the commission of gang/criminal activity.
- Contains newspaper clippings.
- There is perfume and/or lipstick on the envelope or inside the contents of the envelope.
- Contains books/magazines.
- Contains materials that could be used to aid an escape from an institution, including plans, diagrams and blueprints of institutions.